Purpose of Program
Thank you for your interest in the field of Child Life at Penn State Health Children's Hospital. At this time, we are unable to accept any new applications for shadow students. Please continue to check back for shadow student opportunities. If you would like to talk to a Certified Child Life Specialist about the field, please reach out to Lindsey Reynolds for more information.
Thank you for your interest in the field of Child Life at Penn State Health Children's Hospital.
We are happy to provide shadowing opportunities to college students who are able to complete the necessary process. Due to the high demand and interest in the Child Life profession, we are not accepting high school students for this opportunity.
At this time, we offer a 4-hour morning shadowing experience. During this experience you will have the opportunity to observe Child Life services in a variety of clinical settings. We are unable to accommodate requests to fulfill specific course requirements. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility in scheduling your shadow opportunity with us.
To participate in a shadowing experience, please complete the following steps:
- Review the Academic Placements website for Shadowing Program guidelines. Be sure to read this website carefully.
- Complete the following forms:
- Scan all forms and e-mail or fax forms to:
- Lisa Clark, Pediatric Clerkship Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 717-531-0869.
You may follow-up with Lisa once your application and all forms have been completed and emailed.
Please follow these steps to the best of your ability. All steps must be completed prior to your shadowing experience. This process may take 4-8 weeks or longer. If approved, Lisa will contact you and the Child Life Shadow Student coordinator to schedule a time.
If selected to shadow:
- Familiarize yourself with the Association of Child Life Professionals
- Be prepared with questions
- Arrive with a photo ID prior to scheduled start time to check-in with security and receive your visitor's badge
- Come dressed in professional attire as well as comfortable, closed-toe shoes.
- If for any reason you are unable to make your scheduled time, please contact us immediately.
If you have any questions related to this process please contact
Lindsey Reynolds, MS, CCLS
Child Life Program
Shadow Student Coordinator
Penn State Health Children’s Hospital