Find volunteer opportunities
All volunteers need to submit an application, attend an orientation and complete an interview. Additionally, volunteers must complete background checks and a health screening.
Volunteers serve in a variety of roles at Holy Spirit Medical Center, including but not limited to:
- Greeting and wayfinding
- Patient rounder
- Patient transport
- Comfort cart assistant
- Pastoral Services
- Personal care ambassador
- Unit desk secretary
Who can volunteer?
All volunteers must be 16 or older to volunteer. We ask volunteers to commit to volunteering 100 hours within the first year.
Due to mandatory state requirements for volunteering, we are unable to accommodate short-term volunteer service. Also, we are unable to accommodate court-ordered community service. A variety of shifts (daytime, evening and weekend) are available.
- Complete online Volunteer application. Once the application is completed, the volunteer coordinator will contact you to attend an orientation.
- Attend a volunteer orientation. This is an opportunity to learn about volunteer policies and opportunities and take a tour of the hospital.
- Complete an interview with the volunteer coordinator. You will meet with the volunteer coordinator to discuss your interests and background. The interview is an opportunity to bring up questions you may have about volunteering and to match your skills and talents with the needs of Hampden Medical Center. Because volunteers are asked to commit to work the same day and time each week, please come to the interview prepared with your availability.
Additional volunteer requirements
Criminal background checks:
- Pennsylvania Access to Criminal History (online and free of charge)
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance (online and free of charge)
- FBI fingerprint-based background check (register online, fee applies)
Clearances are valid for five years. If you have already completed the clearances listed above and they are less than five years old, you do not need to complete new ones. Please provide copies of your existing clearances to the volunteer coordinator.
We ask that you provide documentation of vaccinations:
- Pertussis (Tdap)
- Rubella (MMR)
- Tetanus (adult)
- Tuberculosis (TB)
- Varicella (Chickenpox)
If you do not have documentation of the above, our Employee Health department can assist you.
Instructions and the required forms will be provided at orientation.