COVID-19 Patient Visitation Policy
General Visitation Guidelines
These visitation guidelines apply to all Penn State Health care settings with the exception of COVID-19 units. Contact your patient’s care team before visiting if you have questions about how the policy applies to you.
Penn State Health staff will continue to monitor COVID-19 and adjust its visitation policy appropriately.
- With some exceptions, the health system will permit all visitors for all adult and pediatric inpatient and outpatient patients from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Units may restrict the number of people at the patient’s bedside to ensure safety and privacy.
- No more than two people at a time may visit critical care patients. The hospital unit will coordinate visits for people under age 18.
- Only two family or support persons over age 18 are permitted to visit Labor and Delivery patients. The restriction doesn’t apply to postpartum patients.
- No more than two visitors are permitted in adult and pediatric outpatient surgery and procedure departments, emergency departments and outpatient clinics at any given time.
The health system will no longer screen visitors for COVID-19 at entrances. Units with high-risk or immunocompromised patients may screen visitors if they determine it to be in the patients’ best interest. All visitors must continue to wear level 1 (surgical grade) masks. They may wear cloth masks, but only if they cover them with a level 1 mask.
Visit a Patient
Visiting hours, policies and information
Before you visit, learn where to go and see our policies that help ensure your health and safety as well as our patients.
Find a patient
Call our hospital operator at 717-981-9000 to get the patient’s room number and direct phone number.
Call our security department at 717-981-1412.
Facility Amenities and Services
From free Wi-Fi to a cafe and gift shop, Hampden Medical Center offers a variety of amenities to make your experience as pleasant and easy as possible.
The café is conveniently located off the main lobby with seating indoors and out. There are a variety of food options, including pizza and grab-and-go items.
For your convenience, there is no charge for local calls or calls to other extensions within the medical center. To make a local call, dial “9” first, followed by the telephone number.
Cell phones may interfere with clinical patient monitoring equipment. For that reason, some patient rooms and other care areas may not allow you to use them. Signs will indicate if cell phone use is not allowed.
Phone charging stations
Cell phone charging stations are located in the lobby near the West Elevator, on the second floor near the Women and Babies Center and in the Medical-Surgical waiting room on the third floor.
All patient rooms and select visitor areas in the medical center have free wireless internet access. No sign-in is required.
Our waiting areas have furniture and amenities to make each stay comfortable for families and visitors. If a volunteer is staffing the waiting area, visitors are asked to check in upon arrival.
The Gift Shop is located on the first floor of the medical center. Flowers, candy, magazine, books, jewelry, decorative items, toys and greeting cards are available, as well as various toiletries and comfort items, such as socks and clothing.
Flowers, plants and balloons are not allowed in some patient care areas. Please check with the patient’s nurse before ordering these items. Because some patients have allergies, please request delivery of Mylar balloons instead of latex. Where permitted, these items are delivered to patient rooms Monday through Saturday.
To purchase a gift and arrange delivery to a patient’s room, call the Gift Shop at 717-981-8102.
Directions and Parking
General patient and visitor parking is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week in the main parking lot of the hospital.
Find your way around campus
- Directions to Penn State Health Hampden Medical Center (Google Maps)
- Navigate our Hospital with our new Penn State Health Go app
- Campus map (PDF): Our detailed map will help you navigate your way around campus.
- Campus map (PDF española): Nuestro mapa detallado lo ayudará a navegar por el campus.