Penn State Health - Who We Are
Penn State Health is a multi-hospital health system serving patients and communities across 29 counties of Pennsylvania. Our mission is to improve health through patient care, research, education and community outreach.
The system includes:
- Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, Pa.
- Penn State Health Children's Hospital, Hershey, Pa.
- Penn State Cancer Institute, Hershey, Pa.
- Penn State Health Hampden Medical Center, Enola, Pa.
- Penn State Health Holy Spirit Medical Center, Camp Hill, Pa.
- Penn State Health St. Joseph Medical Center, Reading, Pa.
- Penn State Heath Lancaster Medical Center, Lancaster, Pa.
In addition, Penn State Health has 126 practices in 94 unique outpatient locations. It employs more than 17,500 people, including more than 3,000 physicians and direct care providers.
Penn State College of Medicine is located on the campus of the Milton S. Hershey Center and partners with Penn State Health to improve lives through research and education.
Beginning with Hershey Medical Center in 1970, Penn State Health has grown to include six hospitals. The health system began its unprecedented growth in 2015 by acquiring St. Joseph Regional Health Network in Berks County.
In 2017, Physicians’ Alliance LTD, the largest independent physician practice group in Lancaster County, joined Penn State Health. That same year, Penn State Health partnered with Highmark Health to create a value-based, community care network.
Holy Spirit Health System, based in East Pennsboro Township, Pa., became part of Penn State Health in 2020, with a 306-bed hospital and 28 outpatient locations.
Penn State Health Hampden Medical Center, a $300 million acute care hospital in Enola, Pa., opened its doors to patients in Oct. 2021.
The new Penn State Health Lancaster Medical Center, a five-story acute care hospital in East Hempfield Township, Lancaster County, opened its doors to patients on Oct. 3, 2022.
Mission, Vision and Values
All patients receive world-class care based on our mission, vision and values:
- Continually improve the health and well-being of the people of Pennsylvania and beyond
- Provide excellent, compassionate, culturally responsive and equitable care
- Educate and train health care professionals
- Advance evidence-based medical innovation through research and discovery
Our vision is to be Pennsylvania’s most trusted health care organization.
Penn State Health recognizes its employees for fulfilling the RITE values of the organization: