Penn State Health Life Lion Emergency Medical Services and Critical Care Transport
Emergency and non-emergent transportation to hospitals in south-central Pennsylvania
Life Lion offers 24/7 emergency medical services (EMS) and 911 response to numerous municipalities throughout Dauphin, Cumberland, Perry, Lebanon, York, Lancaster, Berks, and Franklin counties.
- The Life Lion team includes paramedics, emergency medical technicians, nurses, physicians, pilots, dispatchers, and mechanics who are highly trained to deliver lifesaving services – including advanced and basic life support.
- Our team also prepares patients for the level of care they’ll need once they arrive at the hospital.
- We serve:
- Life Lion EMS is one of the first in central Pennsylvania to offer a Community Paramedicine Program, in which specially trained paramedics provide in-home care and follow-up monitoring for patients after their hospital discharge.
- In collaboration with the Penn State College of Medicine EMS Fellowship, Life Lion brings advanced practitioners, emergency medicine physicians, specialized equipment and medications into the community for select 911 calls, as needed.
- Life Lion EMS paramedics with specialized training in tactical medicine support high-risk law enforcement and homeland security operations conducted by area police departments.
- Life Lion provides highly trained paramedics and physicians who are part of the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Urban Search and Rescue team, Pennsylvania Task Force 1. These paramedics have been deployed to many disasters across the country, including the World Trade Center, hurricanes in the South, and several local technical rescue incidents.
- The Life Lion EMS special response team is trained to treat and transport patients who might have a highly infectious disease or have been exposed to a chemical, biological or nuclear agent. This team conducts several drills each year and supports all levels of hospital operations.
- Our Critical Care staff members are among the most highly trained clinicians in the nation. They attend countless hours of continuing education and attend advanced clinical rotations so they can provide the same level of critical care in the out-of-hospital environment during transport.
- Life Lion operates three medium twin helicopters under CFR Part 135 Federal Aviation Administration regulations. Our advanced aircraft technology and experienced pilots and crew allow the program to safely operate under instrument flight conditions.
- Two critical care ground ambulances provide a fully functional platform for patients most suited for ground transport.