The Penn State Health Approach to Ear, Nose and Throat Care
The Penn State Health Otolaryngology – Head and Neck surgery (ENT) team provides complete, multidisciplinary care for conditions that affect the ear, nose, throat and neck region. Whether you are experiencing hoarseness, breathing or swallowing issues, balance problems, hearing loss, or cancers of the head and neck, we are able to diagnose your condition and create the best care plan for your needs.
As the only academic medical center in central Pennsylvania, our specialists can offer some of the latest treatment breakthroughs. We have the expertise to treat even the most complex and rare conditions. From routine sinus infection treatment to advanced therapies such as cochlear implants, transoral robotic surgery for head and neck cancers and endoscopic skull base surgery— we provide the highest level of care in one single, convenient place.
Our ENT doctors work closely with audiologists (hearing specialists), speech-language therapists and physicians in other medical specialties to offer a full spectrum of services for children and adults.
Whatever health needs you have, we can help. You can get all the care you need right here.
Complete Care for a Full Range of Otolaryngology (Ear, Nose and Throat) Conditions
Our skilled otolaryngologist doctors treat all ear, nose and throat conditions and use the latest nonsurgical and surgery treatments, customized for your situation. That means you work with the same doctor throughout diagnosis and treatment. When needed, your doctor may partner with other Penn State Health surgeons for some procedures, such as complex reconstructions or skull base tumors.
We develop a treatment plan based on your symptoms and needs. You benefit from the wealth of knowledge, capabilities and experience you can only find at a university-affiliated health system like Penn State Health. We bring in specialists as needed to make sure you get the care and support you need, such as audiologists, speech-language therapists and others. You get personal attention from a team that’s focused on your well-being.
Our Experts in Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
Why Choose Penn State Health for Otolaryngology (Ear, Nose and Throat) Care
Families from all over Pennsylvania come to us for advanced testing, diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the head and neck. Our experts have the highest degree of expertise in their field, often with subspecialty fellowship training and decades of experience. Our goal is to provide exceptional-quality, safe care to you and your family. The Penn State Health Otolaryngology team has the skills and resources to help make the right diagnosis and provide the right plan of care, regardless of the nature of your head and neck issues – all the care you need, close to home.
Nationally Recognized Otolaryngology (Ear, Nose and Throat) Care
Penn State Health is home to numerous recognized programs staffed by specialists at the forefront of the latest treatment breakthroughs in hearing, sinus care, voice and swallowing disorders, pediatric ENT disorders, facial cosmetic and reconstruction, head and neck cancer treatment and more.
We’re recognized as a Multidisciplinary Team of Distinction by the North American Skull Base Society. We have advanced expertise in:
- Voice disorders, Videostroboscopy, in-office vocal fold procedures, in-office laser surgery, and coordinated speech therapy to maximize the care of both typical and professional voice users, such as singers, actors, lawyers, clergy, educators and salespeople.
- Minimally invasive approaches, including transoral robot-assisted surgery (TORS) for mouth and throat conditions, radiofrequency ablation of thyroid nodules, balloon sinuplasty for chronic sinusitis and sialendoscopy for salivary gland disorders.
- Hearing evaluation, diagnosis and treatment, including cochlear implants, minimally invasive eustachian tube balloon dilation and sedated auditory brainstem response testing to find hearing loss in infants - we’re the only hospital in the area to offer this.
- Microvascular reconstruction, advanced surgery to restore appearance after head and neck cancer.
- Innovative treatments for swallowing disorders, including electrical stimulation to improve the function of throat and nerve muscles after a stroke or cancer.
Expert, Team-Based Care Designed for You
We have specialized expertise in a wide range of conditions. Your care team may include experts in hearing, sinus care, skull base surgery, cancer, facial plastic surgery, speech and language, and voice care.
Services and Treatments
- Balloon sinuplasty
- Cleft lip and palate surgery
- Cochlear implants
- Cosmetic services and surgery
- Endoscopic skull base surgery
- Eustachian tube balloon dilation
- Facial reanimation
- General otolaryngology
- Head and neck cancer
- Head and neck endocrine surgery (thyroid and parathyroid)
- Laryngology and voice disorders
- Microvascular reconstruction
- Minimally invasive radio-guided parathyroid surgery (MIRP)
- Otology and neurotology
- Pediatric otolaryngology
- Sleep medicine
- Speech-language pathology
- Transoral robotic surgery (TORS)/Flex® Robotic System
- Airway and throat disorders
- Acoustic neuroma
- Balance problems
- Congenital hearing loss (pediatric)
- Facial nerve disorders
- Hearing loss
- Head and neck cancer
- Hyperparathyroidism and Parathyroid Disease
- Hypopharyngeal (HP) cancer
- Laryngeal cancer
- Oral cavity cancer
- Ménière's disease
- Nasal obstruction
- Nasopharyngeal cancer
- Neck mass in adults
- Nose and paranasal sinus tumors
- Obstructive sleep apnea (adult and pediatrics)
- Oropharyngeal cancer (Oropharynx; tonsils, back of tongue)
- Otitis media (pediatric)
- Radiofrequency Ablation
- Salivary gland disorders
- Skull base and pituitary tumors
- Speech, voice and swallowing disorders
- Thyroid nodules and cancer
- Tonsillitis (pediatric)
Otolaryngology Research and Clinical Trials
Penn State Health is pursuing better treatments for ear, nose and throat conditions. Our otolaryngologists are looking for new ways to prevent, find and treat head and neck conditions, including cancer. That means you can find promising new treatments you won’t find anywhere else – right here in Central PA. Learn more about our clinical trials.
Cochlear Implant Support Group
Sponsored by Audiology at Penn State Health Children’s Hospital, this support group provides information about cochlear implant surgery as well as an opportunity for cochlear...
Sponsored by Audiology at Penn State Health Children’s Hospital, this support group provides information about cochlear implant surgery as well as an opportunity for cochlear implant recipients and their families to connect with other implant recipients.
To learn more, please call audiology services at 717-531-6822.
Head and Neck Cancer
This group provides an opportunity for head and neck cancer patients, as well as their family members, to develop connections with and receive support from...
This group provides an opportunity for head and neck cancer patients, as well as their family members, to develop connections with and receive support from other patients and caregivers. The support group meets every fourth Sunday of the month. For more information, call 717-531-8945 or e-mail Head and Neck Support Group.
Find the care your family needs, close to home, at one of our many locations throughout central Pennsylvania.Find a location near you