Langan Allied Health Academy – Community Health Worker Training Program
Join us for an exciting program for individuals interested in a New career or Expanding skills in their current position.
What is a Community Health Worker?
A “Community Health Worker” is an individual who contributes to improved health outcomes in the community. Community health workers promote health within the community in which they reside and/or share ethnicity, language, socioeconomic status, and life experiences with the community members that the individual serves. A community health worker proactively:
- Serves as a liaison between communities and health care agencies;
- Provides guidance and social assistance to community residents;
- Enhances community residents’ ability to effectively communicate with health care providers;
- Provides culturally and linguistically appropriate health education;
- Advocates for individual and community health;
- Provides referral and follow-up services or otherwise coordinating care; and
- Identifies and helps enroll eligible individuals in federal, state, and local private or nonprofit health and human services programs
- Can work in a community-based, inpatient or other healthcare setting
The training is focused on skill building, including:
- Boundaries and safety
- Motivational interviewing
- Preventative care
- Care coordination; and more
The program includes many visiting presenters who will provide specific information about services offered through their organization. The training is a wonderful way to build your knowledge of services in the area as well as grow your network.
Upon successful completion of the program, participants will obtain certification in:
- Community health worker
- Youth mental health first aid
- CPR, first aid and AED
- Tobacco dependence treatment
The Community Health Worker program is provided through a partnership with Penn State Health St. Joseph Medical Center, Eastcentral Pennsylvania Area Health Education Center, and the Literacy Council of Reading-Berks.
For more information about upcoming classes contact: