Due to restrictions from COVID-19, we are not accepting new applications at this time. Please check back in early 2021.
Volunteers at Penn State Health St. Joseph are compassionate helpers who donate their time and skills to support our staff, physicians, patients and their families. Our volunteers are dedicated people who approach their critical roles with the same commitment to excellence as our professional staff.
Volunteering is a wonderful way to contribute to our community. We do our best to match each new volunteer’s skills and talents to the needs of our medical center. We are proud to also open our volunteering program to students interested in learning more about the medical field and making a difference.
No matter your reason for considering volunteer work, Penn State Health St. Joseph is happy you’re here. Feel a sense of accomplishment, learn new skills, get a broader understanding of health care and help give back to the community by becoming a Penn State Health St. Joseph volunteer today.
Immediate Volunteer Opportunities
We have immediate needs on our volunteer team for the following positions:
- Receptionists: Individuals are needed in several areas to greet and direct patients. Duties vary by area – some have minimal walking and no computer work, while other positions require escorting patients and some computer and phone skills. We are looking for individuals to do one or two four-hour shifts each week, Monday through Friday.
- Trainers: Individuals to assume once a week volunteer training for a particular area. The two current areas of need are:
- Patient Service training: Our top priority is for a trainer to teach new volunteers to provide patient service on the inpatient units to improve patient experience and patient satisfaction. Patient Service volunteers spend time with each patient, addressing comfort needs and serving as a liaison between patients and nursing staff to provide non-clinical duties within their job description.
- Reception/Clerical Trainer: This individual would train all new volunteers on the various receptionist and information desk roles within the main hospital.
For immediate volunteer opportunities, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at 610-378-2000.
General Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteer opportunities at Penn State Health St. Joseph include:
- Book cart
- Emergency Department patient support
- Hand-crafted items for patients: homemade quilts, baby hats and prayer shawls
- Patient services
Volunteer Basic Requirements
At Penn State Health St. Joseph, our volunteers are a vital part of our organization. All volunteers must meet the following criteria:
- Able to commit to 50 hours of volunteering in a 12-month period
- At least 15 years of age
- Attend orientation
- Commit to volunteer weekly
- Comply with required immunizations and annual flu vaccine
- Criminal, child abuse and FBI clearance
- Provide references