Why Choose Penn State Health St. Joseph Medical Center
Founded in 1873 by the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia, St. Joseph Medical Center is a Catholic acute care hospital in Bern Township, Pa., that provides expert, compassionate, ethically guided care in a patient-focused environment. Its advanced outpatient and inpatient diagnostic, medical and surgical services include minimally invasive surgery using the robotic da Vinci surgical system. The Penn State Health Downtown Campus is the largest ambulatory care center in the City of Reading, offering family, pediatric and OB-GYN practices; specialty and diagnostic services; and a full-service dental clinic.
Collaborating to Improve Quality of Life
St. Joseph Medical Center collaborates with Penn State Berks on the Berks LaunchBox, a business accelerator initiative. Students, faculty and medical staff engage the community, help the economy and improve the quality of life in the greater Reading area.
Veggie Rx at the Penn State Health Downtown Campus in Reading was created through the Berks LaunchBox. Clinical staff prescribe vouchers for fresh produce to patients with chronic obesity and diabetes to help them better manage their health.
St. Joseph Medical Center’s other community partnerships include:
- bE Nourished, a medically tailored meals program that helps patients manage heart disease and diabetes. St. Joseph staff members collaborate with Berks Encore and Redner’s Markets to provide the service.
- A medical advocacy program specialist on the Penn State Health Downtown Campus helps staff identify and serve domestic violence and sexual assault survivors through a partnership with SAFE Berks.
Awards and Recognition
St. Joseph Medical Center has earned national accreditations for its centers of excellence for treatment of chest pain, stroke, heart failure and cancer. It has also been recognized by the following organizations:
- Primary Stroke Center Certification by The Joint Commission and the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association
- Advanced Certification in Heart Failure by The Joint Commission and the American Heart Association
- Certified Baby-Friendly Hospital by the Baby-Friendly® Hospital Initiative of the World Health Organization and United Nations Children’s Fund
- Chest Pain - MI Registry Platinum Performance Achievement Award by the American College of Cardiology
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Penn State Health St. Joseph Medical Center is fundamentally committed to providing compassionate, inclusive and equitable care and increasing the diversity of its workforce.
Get more information or schedule an appointment.