The Penn State Health Children’s Hospital Approach to Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
The experts at Penn State Health Children’s Hospital provide compassionate treatment for children and teens with a wide range of mental and behavioral health issues. Our focus on family-centered care includes both individual, group and family therapy that provide a range of proven medication and counseling services. Many of these services are now available by telehealth on the Penn State Health OnDemand.
Coping with a Chronic Illness
If your child has a chronic illness, our eight-week group session can help them learn to cope with the stressors that can sometimes make physical symptoms worse. Your child will learn to identify the stressors, how it impacts their illness and how to manage those stressors to improve overall daily function.
Need Help Finding a Service for child or teenager with a Behavioral Health Disorder
Primary care doctors across the State of Pennsylvania can reach experienced care coordinators who work directly with families to help connect them to local care through the Telephonic Psychiatric Services or TiPS program. TiPS also provides primary care doctors across the state immediate access to child psychiatry experts to assist in managing the entire range of mental health issues in children and adolescents. If you need help, ask your doctor to call the TiPS program today.
Our Experts in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Care
The experts at Penn State Health Children’s Hospital provide compassionate treatment for children and teens with a wide range of mental and behavioral health issues.
Why Choose Penn State Health Children’s Hospital for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Penn State Health Children’s Hospital provides only the best for your child. We are committed to the highest-quality treatment and support which focuses on the unique needs of your child and family.
Nationally Recognized Care
Penn State Health Children’s Hospital is routinely ranked among the best children’s hospitals in the nation due to our focus on patient care, safety and research.
Research Studies for ADHD and Autism Spectrum Disorder
Penn State Health Children’s Hospital has a number of specialized research programs that offer treatment for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), autism spectrum disorder (ASD), and other common mental health issues in children. We are dedicated to improving the understanding of diseases and enhancing treatment and prevention of childhood illnesses through our research, in partnership with Penn State College of Medicine. When you come here, you get the latest, researched-backed care. Many of these studies provide medication and therapy services at no cost to families by our team of national experts. Find out if a research study is right for you.
Related Services and Treatments
- Child psychiatry consultation and liaison for medical and surgical admissions
- Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT)
- Counseling services for hospitalized youth
Partial Hospitalization Programs
- Eating disorder partial hospitalization program (children, teen and adults)
(Spanish –speaking therapists are available)
- Individual, group, and family therapies (Child)
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and Trauma Focused CBT
- Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT)
- Group therapies for anxiety and depression in children and adolescents and social skills development for adolescents with ASD
- Early childhood assessment and treatment program (ages birth – 60 months) providing a range of diagnostic services and family based therapy treatments
- Psychiatric Services for youth with complex medical illness
- Pediatric neuropsychology services examining the impact of medical disease on brain functioning
- The Attention and Behavior Clinic (ABC) brings together expert researchers in medication and counseling treatments for children and teenagers with ADHD and a wide range of behavioral problems.
- This clinic also runs an intensive summer treatment program (STP) for children with ADHD ages 5 to 12.
- A comprehensive Eating Disorders Outpatient Program offers a range of diagnostic and treatment services for children, teen and adults.
- Autism Services are provided at two locations:
- The Autism and Developmental Disorders Clinic provides services across the lifespan ranging from initial diagnosis to managing the transition to fullest potential independence as an adult. A wide array of therapy and medication services aimed at improving meaningful person-centered community participation are offered. Click here for more information about Autism services across our region.
Penn State Health Children’s Hospital child and adolescent psychiatry provides care for:
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Coping with chronic illness
- Childhood behavioral problems including conduct disorder and oppositional defiant disorder
- Eating disorders
- Intellectual or developmental disabilities
- Mood disorders
- Sleep disorders
- Substance use disorders
Support groups provide children and their families an opportunity to connect with others in similar situations. Learn more about the support groups offered at Penn State Health Children’s Hospital.
Our Convenient Locations
Find the care your family needs, close to home, at one of our many locations throughout central Pennsylvania.Find a Location Near You