With Behavioral Health OnDemand, you can get expert care without leaving home.
We’re ready to talk
Taking care of your mental health is a vital part of your overall well-being. We understand it’s not always convenient to see a behavioral health provider when you need to talk. With Penn State Health OnDemand, we bring a skilled behavioral health professional to you.
You can see a licensed psychologist, psychiatrist or counselor by video on your smartphone, tablet or computer. It’s secure and easy to use. You can establish an ongoing relationship, if you choose.
We offer you two behavioral health services through OnDemand:
Mental Health Therapy
Patients age 10 and older can see a licensed psychologist or counselor online and discuss anxiety, depression, grief counseling and other common behavioral health challenges. Sessions typically last 45 minutes. Therapists also can coordinate future virtual appointments with a psychiatrist as needed.
Patients can receive an evaluation and treatment from a licensed psychiatrist. An initial consultation lasts 45 minutes. Psychiatrists can also provide care and ongoing medication management for bipolar disorder, cognitive disorders, eating disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder and other conditions.
Patients using either service will receive an individualized treatment plan. A provider may recommend future visits and/or medication. Only psychiatrists can prescribe medication, and they are not able to prescribe controlled substances through virtual visits.
Virtual visits are secure and comply with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act patient privacy standards. Sessions are not recorded. Patients have the option of sharing session notes with their primary care providers through the service and may also request a copy for their own records.
Depending on your insurance benefits plan, including Medicare and Medicaid, your visit may or may not be covered. Check with your insurance provider prior to your visit to understand any costs you may incur.
It’s free to sign up. You can use your smart phone or computer:
- To download the mobile app, search for Penn State Health OnDemand at the Apple Store for iPhone or the Google Play Store for Android.
- On your computer, visit PennStateHealthOnDemand.com. Be sure to use the Google Chrome browser for the best experience.
How to Enroll
It’s quick and easy. Fill in all the fields on the next three screens:
- On the sign-up screen, type in your information, and press Sign Up.
- Fill in all the fields on the next screen, and press Continue.
- Answer the health insurance question, and click Finish.
The next screen will confirm you've completed registration. Now that you're enrolled, you can schedule an appointment with a specialist right away.
Schedule a Virtual Visit
Follow these steps to schedule your virtual appointment:
- On PennStateHealthOnDemand.com, click on the Penn State Health OnDemand Behavioral Health page.
- Schedule your appointment by date or provider. To schedule by provider, click the dropdown arrow on the right side of the bar and choose a provider.
- If you prefer to schedule by date, click on the date you would like that is highlighted green. Select the time and/or provider and follow the instructions and click on the Schedule Your Appointment bar.
You must be enrolled in Penn State Health OnDemand before you can schedule your visit. If you have technical difficulties during the enrollment process, please call 833-774-3627.
Sign Up for the Patient Portal
Please sign up for the patient portal to get additional information on the telehealth setup process before your telehealth visit. Once you’re signed up you can easily share additional patient-related information (outside records, labs, blood pressure results, etc.) once you log in.
Before your visit
After you make your first appointment, you will receive an email with information to help you prepare.
Mobile phone or tablet setup
When you open the OnDemand app, the first screen will ask to access your location, which allows us to find nearby pharmacies if you need a prescription. You will be prompted to enable push notifications for appointments and access to the microphone and camera. This is necessary to see and talk to behavioral health providers and to complete the mobile tech check.
- Click Allow While Using App.
- Click Allow to get appointment notifications, including text reminders.
- Click OK to allow the app to access your microphone for the visit.
- Click OK to enable the app to access your camera for the visit.
Desktop or laptop setup
These instructions may vary depending on the web browser you use. Google Chrome is the preferred browser for a more user-friendly experience.
First, log in to your account with your email and password. You can either go to pennstatehealthondemand.com and log in, or use the appointment link from the email. If you use the link, click Get Started, and then click Continue in the browser window. This will take you to the login page.
Once you're logged in, you will go through a step-by-step virtual intake process by completing the following screens:
- Get Started. Fill in your phone number, in case the provider needs to call you to follow up. You also may invite someone, such as a family member, to join your visit. Click Continue when you're finished.
- Your Visit. This screen lets you enter what you want to discuss during your visit. At the bottom of the screen, you need to acknowledge receipt of the Notice of Privacy Practices (click the link to read them). Click Continue.
Follow the instructions to test your device’s video and microphone. If you can’t establish a connection, your provider will call the phone number you entered.