Innovative Mammography using Digital Breast Tomosynthesis
Digital breast tomosynthesis is more commonly referred to as 3D mammography. This a state-of-the-art imaging technique takes multiple images of your breast tissue to recreate a three-dimensional picture of your breast. A traditional mammography creates a two-dimensional picture.
The benefits of 3D mammography, include:
- Improved cancer detection rates
- Fewer patients recalled for additional images
- Better imaging and screening for women with dense breasts
Comprehensive Services for Breast Health
Penn State Health offers a full spectrum of imaging and treatments, including 3D mammography, to help detect breast cancer early – when it is most treatable. If you need additional testing or treatment, we offer:
- Same-day results for screening exams – you can wait to see if your screening exam shows any abnormalities and schedule additional tests if necessary.
- Automated Whole Breast Ultrasound (ABUS) – a screening breast ultrasound used for women with dense breast tissue and at high risk for breast cancer.
- Breast MRI – used to identify and stage breast cancer and other breast diseases. It’s also a valuable screening tool in women at high risk for breast cancer.
- Guided biopsies – used to get a sample of breast tissue if an abnormality is found during mammogram or ultrasound. The biopsy will be guided by ultrasound (ultrasound-guided core biopsy), mammographic imaging (stereotactic-guided core biopsy) or MRI (MRI-guided biopsy).
- On-site radiologists for consultation – our radiologists are available to discuss any abnormal results.
Advanced Surgical Care
If surgery is necessary to remove a benign or cancerous tumor, our goal is to conserve breast tissue. Our breast imaging center is co-located with the breast surgery clinic to provide all of your care in one location. Our breast surgeons are skilled in the latest minimally invasive techniques, including:
- Wireless localization using SAVI SCOUT® technology – a surgical guidance system that uses no radiation or wires. It precisely targets the tumor for a lumpectomy of biopsy.
- Sentinel node biopsies – removes lymph nodes using a minimally invasive technique.
- Cryoablation – uses cold therapy to destroy cancer cells and close the blood vessels feeding the tumor.
- Skin and nipple-sparing mastectomies – when all breast tissue must be removed, we provide comprehensive breast reconstruction that can preserve your skin and nipple.
Experts in Care
Meet our doctors, view their profiles and select the one that’s right for you.Find a doctor near you
Nationally Recognized Radiology and Imaging Expertise
Penn State Health is dedicated to providing exceptional care. We consistently meet or exceed stringent national guidelines for patient care quality. That means you can get leading-edge care close to home. Our quality recognitions include:
- Breast Imaging Center of Excellence (BICOE) designation by the American College of Radiology
- Recognition as a National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC) and Food and Drug Administration approval
Expert, Team-Based Care Designed for You
All our radiologists are board-certified and fellowship-trained in various areas of radiology. Many of our registered radiology technologists have advanced certifications in their specialty. Our team also includes radiology assistants, nurses and sonographers. As a member of the Image Gently initiative, we’re committed to using the lowest level of radiation possible.
Support groups provide an opportunity to share your feelings and connect with other patients and caregivers who are experiencing similar struggles.
Find the care your family needs, close to home, at one of our many locations throughout central Pennsylvania.Find a location near you