The Penn State Health Approach to Pain Management
When you’re in pain, you want relief fast. The pain management experts at Penn State Health specialize in relieving pain. We use the latest approaches to help you feel better as quickly as possible — from noninvasive treatments like biofeedback to nerve blocks and implanted pain management devices.
As an academic medical center, we’re at the forefront of pain management. The specialists you work with are also actively researching new ways to relieve pain. That means you’re working with an experienced, knowledgeable team that can offer treatments you can’t find anywhere else nearby. You benefit from the wealth of experience and capabilities throughout Penn State Health.
You don’t have to live with pain. We draw from a full spectrum of safe, effective pain relief methods to help you feel better right away.
Complete Care to Relieve Pain
Our pain management specialists treat a wide range of conditions, from back pain to complex pain syndromes. Whether you have ongoing pain or you need temporary relief to after an injury or a recent surgery, we can help. We also provide comprehensive palliative care services that focus on relieving pain, symptoms and stress of serious illnesses like cancer.
We give you personal attention to find out what’s causing pain and develop a treatment plan that offers you the best possible results. We bring in specialists who can help, including physical therapists and other rehabilitation specialists. Pain affects your mental and emotional well-being, so we make sure you have the support and assistance you need - including mental health services. We develop a plan to help you feel better, both mentally and physically.
Support groups provide an opportunity to share your feelings and connect with other parents and caregivers who are experiencing similar struggles.
Experts in Care
Meet our doctors, view their profiles and select the one that’s right for you.Find a doctor near you
Why Choose Penn State Health for Pain Management
Central Pennsylvania families trust us for leading-edge pain management approaches, delivered by experienced, compassionate pain-relief experts.
Advanced Pain Management Expertise
Our pain management team treats all types of pain - whether it's caused by an injury or surgery or it's related to cancer, an autoimmune disorder or another disease. We offer:
- The latest, evidence-based pain management treatments
- Personal attention and a pain management plan that’s designed just for you
- Whole-person care that focuses on your physical, mental and emotional needs
- Assistance navigating health care services and guidance with difficult and complicated health decisions
- Advanced expertise treating pain caused by cancer, complex regional pain syndrome and musculoskeletal conditions
Expert, Team-Based Care Designed for You
Our doctors, rehabilitation experts, psychologists, nurses, pharmacists, chaplains, social workers and others work as a team to help you live more comfortably and have a higher quality of life.
We work closely with primary care doctors, surgeons and specialists in cancer, cardiovascular disease, orthopedics, neurology, rheumatic and autoimmune conditions, lung disease, nutrition and more. You benefit from the wealth of expertise and capabilities within Penn State Health. Our compassionate team offers leading-edge treatment, encouragement and support every step of the way.
Pain Management Research and Clinical Trials
Penn State Health is dedicated to finding better, safer ways to relieve pain. Our pain management specialists are exploring approaches to treat chronic pain including pain originating in spine,, pain caused by arthritis, painful neuropathies originating in the peripheral and central nervous systems, women's pelvic pain and more. You can find advanced methods here before they’re widely available. Find out if a pain management clinical trial is right for you.
Related Services and Treatments
- Pain management procedures for cancer related pain such as Celiac plexus block
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Fluoroscopically guided spinal injections
- Implantable drug delivery systems
- Spinal cord stimulation
- Joint ablation
- Consultation and recommendations for medication management
- Ultrasound-guided injections
- Nerve blocks, including local anesthetic, neurolytic and sympathetic nerve blocks
- Kyphoplasty for vertebral compression fractures
- Interdisciplinary pain rehabilitation program
- Back and neck pain
- Cancer-related pain
- Chronic pain
- Complex regional pain syndrome (causalgia or reflex sympathetic dystrophy)
- Failed back surgery syndrome
- Fibromyalgia and other pain syndromes
- Intervertebral disc disease
- Joint pain
- Musculoskeletal pain
- Postherpetic neuralgia
- Spine or spinal cord injuries
- Sports injuries
- Vertebral compression fracture
Find the care your family needs, close to home, at one of our many locations throughout central Pennsylvania.Find a location near you