High-risk pregnancy services
Maternal Fetal Medicine provides special care and delivery when serious illness or increased pregnancy risk affect women and/or their unborn children. We can provide consultation, specific services, or care and delivery when combined maternal fetal medicine and intensive neonatal care, including immediate neonatal surgery, are necessary.
Did you know?
- Maternal Fetal Medicine at Penn State Obstetrics and Gynecology has been providing maternal fetal resources throughout central Pennsylvania for more than 25 years.
- We have more than 50 years combined practice experience as maternal-fetal medicine specialists certified by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- We are members of the Society of Maternal Fetal Medicine, providing us with an ongoing network of the latest in diagnostic advances, practice protocols and new research for pregnancies with unusual or especially difficult clinical problems.
- The Maternal Fetal Medicine Fetal Imaging Suite has received accreditation from the American Institute of Ultrasound Medicine, an association dedicated to promoting the safe and effective use of ultrasound. Accreditation means our practice has met nationally accepted standards and has demonstrated consistent excellence in patient care. We are a full-service obstetrical ultrasound facility.
- Pre-pregnancy counseling for high-risk medical or obstetric conditions
- Genetic diagnostic services: Counseling, chorionic villus sampling, amniocentesis, specialized laboratory diagnostics
- Targeted fetal ultrasound imaging
- Selected maternal surgical procedures including: Umbilical cord blood sampling, Intrauterine fetal transfusion, Fetal thoracic and bladder catheter placement, Active management of twin transfusion syndrome
- Shared care for pregnancies complicated by chronic maternal diseases including: Insulin dependent diabetes, Hypertension, Hyperthyroidism, Auto-immune diseases, Bleeding/clotting disorders
- Second opinion for complicated pregnancies