Shou Ling Leong, MD, received her Medical Degree from New York University School of Medicine in New York and did her residency training from 1980 - 1983 at Swedish Hospital Family Practice Residency in Seattle, Washington.
After nine years of private practice and two years as residency faculty, Dr. Leong joined Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center in 1994. She is currently Professor and Associate Vice-Chair for Education in the Department of Family Medicine. Serving as Editor-in-Chief for fmCASES, she is conducting several research projects on virtual patient cases for education. fmCASES is widely used by students and is subscribed by most medical schools. Dr. Leong is actively engaged in medical education, having served as the course director and member of the Curriculum of Medical Education Oversight Committee. Dr. Leong has received grant support from organizations including the Robert Wood Johnson Generalist Initiative, HRSA, and Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, allowing her to successfully develop and implement innovative curricula. Dr. Leong is the recipient of a number of awards for education and research.
Penn State Health Medical Group - Fishburn Road Specialties
We accept a variety of health insurance plans and will submit claims on your behalf. Certain coverage restrictions may apply based on your individual benefit package.
Medical School, New York University, School of Medicine - 1980
Residency, Family Medicine Swedish Medical Center - Seattle, WA - 1983
- Medication safety
- Online resources, including virtual patient and mobile applications to enhance medical education
- The effectiveness of interactive online learning
- Associate Vice-Chair for Medical Education and Pre-doctoral Director
- Director of Island I of the Island Curriculum
- Editor-in-Chief of fmCASES, a set of online cases to teach the STFM National Clerkship Curriculum for Family Medicine.
- Innovations in medical education
- Medical education reform
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society (AOA), faculty category for the Eta Chapter of Pennsylvania, 2013
- Best Doctors in America, 2009 - present
- Dean's Award for Excellence in Teaching, established to recognize faculty members who have made outstanding contributions to medical and graduate education at Penn State College of Medicine, 2009
- Distinguished Educator Award, Penn State College of Medicine for Excellence in Scholarship and Education, 2004
- Exceptional Role Model Certificate of Recognition by students, 2001 - 2011
- Exceptional Teacher Certificate of Recognition by Students, 2001 - 2014
- Member of the Board of Trustees for the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine Foundation, 2011 - present
- Scholarship in Education Award for the development and implementation of the Patient Centered Medical Home: A Model for Education Reform, presented by OSLER, Office for Scholarship in Learning and Education Research, 2014
- Scholarship in Education Award for the work on Student Mistreatment Based on Specialty Choice, presented by OSLER, Office for Scholarship in Learning and Education Research, 2014
- Secretary, Board of Trustees for the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine Foundation, 2014