The Hummingbird Program at Penn State Health Children’s Hospital cares for children with many serious, life-limiting illnesses.
The Hummingbird Program cares for infants through teenagers
The Hummingbird team helps children with serious, life-limiting health problems. We work with children from infancy through the teen years. We offer palliative care so you, your child and your family can have a better quality of life.
Here are some of the health problems that our patients have:
- Premature babies with many serious health problems
- Many types of cancers
- Serious genetic disorders
- Progressive neuromuscular disorders
- Serious metabolic disorders, such as Krabbe, Hurler’s, Neimann-Pick and Sanfilippo
- Severe brain problems, such as hydranencephaly and holoprosencephaly
- Severe forms of epidermolysis bullosa
- Serious heart conditions, including single ventricle heart problems with a complicated medical course
- Severe pulmonary hypertension
- Severe lung problems, such as cystic fibrosis with a complicated medical course
This is not a full list of the health problems we see. If your child has a serious health problem that’s not listed, please call us to see how we might help.