Find bereavement resources, including grief and loss support groups for children and adults, through Penn State Children’s Hospital Hummingbird Program.
The Adi Grace Supportive Care Fund
The Hummingbird Program started the Adi Grace Supportive Care Fund in memory of Adisyn Grace Cavey. This fund helps Hummingbird patients and families with some care expenses that are not covered by health insurance.
The Adi Grace Supportive Care Fund is available to all Hummingbird patients. Family income and insurance coverage do not matter.
Please call 717-531-3558 to learn more if your child is a Hummingbird patient.
The death of a child is devastating, and the grief journey for bereaved parents is long and many times lonely. The Hummingbird Program provides grief and bereavement support to parents and families in various settings. We offer:
- Support groups twice per year (spring and fall)
- Special one-night workshops on different topics, such as Preparing for the Holiday Season (early November)
- Individual, couple and family sessions
Ask questions or make an appointment. Please call our Hummingbird counselor at 717-531-8521 ext. 282131
Other grief and loss resources
- Parent Support Group
If you are grieving the loss of a child, you are not alone, There are others who can relate and understand what you are going through. Join us for an intimate six-week parent support group (spring and fall) that provides an opportunity to meet others who are going through a similar situation. Call 717-531-8521 ext. 282131 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pathway’s Center for Grief and Loss
Monthly drop-in groups for parents, as well as general loss of a loved one
- Grief Share
A Christian-based support group with many locations throughout PA
- Compassionate Friends
A self-help group of bereaved parents with many local chapters. This group is for families who have lost a child at any age, from any cause
- Share of Lancaster
Support for perinatal loss
- Common Bond Ministry Grief Support Group
For mothers who have lost a child. Small group setting and prayer support
- Sweet Grace Ministries
Support group for parent who experienced a loss of their child through ectopic pregnancy, miscarriage, stillbirth or neonatal death.
Support programs for children
- Camp Dragonfly (Central PA), 717-732-1000
- Camp Koala (Danville, Carlisle, PA), 717-258-1122
- Drew's Hope (Shippensburg and Greencastle, PA), 717-532-8922
- Pathway’s Center for Grief and Loss (Lancaster area), 717-391-2413
- Olivia’s House (York and Gettysburg area), 717-699-1133
- Highmark Caring Place (Harrisburg area), 717-302-8411
- The Healing Patch (Altoona area), 800-445-6262
- Tides (State College area), 814-692-2233
Find more information about grief and loss.
- Get Palliative Care - Pediatric
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization
- National Organization for Rare Disorders