The Penn State Health Approach to Liver Disease
Penn State Health Liver Center provides the region’s most comprehensive liver care, including living donor liver transplant. Our team of specialists offer unparalleled expertise in all liver-related disorders, including liver cancer.
Our patients have access to a wide variety of advanced medical and surgical resources and services, including:
- The only adult living donor liver transplant center in central Pennsylvania,with our first live donor liver transplant completed in 2008
- A team of more than 30 liver experts
Convenient, Collaborative Care
Our Liver Center specialists work together to evaluate patients on the same day. This streamlines patient care and helps manage treatment by multiple specialties, offering added convenience for patients and families. We collaborate with you to develop the best treatment plan for optimal outcomes. We also support the psychological, nutritional, emotional and social work needs of our patients.
Our team treats conditions including:
- Hepatitis C, hepatitis B and other forms of hepatitis
- Liver cancer and bile duct cancer
- Rare liver tumors, such as neuroendocrine tumors
- Liver masses and cysts
- Portal hypertension
- Chronic inflammatory liver disease
- Complications of liver cirrhosis, such as pulmonary hypertension or high blood pressure, hepatopulmonary syndrome and hepatorenal syndrome
- Acute liver failure
- All other causes of chronic liver disease
Treatments We Offer
Treatments we offer for liver diseases include:
- Curative treatment regimens for hepatitis C
- Specialty clinic for patients with early cirrhosis
- Multidisciplinary management for liver cancer, including local therapies using radiofrequency, microwave and alcohol ablation; regional liver therapies using transarterial chemo embolization (TACE) and radioactive bead embolic therapy; and external beam radiation or stereotactic body radiotherapy for locally advanced liver cancer
- Complex and minimally invasive hepatobiliary surgery for bile duct injuries, biliary obstruction and benign and malignant tumors of the liver and biliary system
- Portal vein embolization
- Transjugular intrahepatic porto-systemic shunt (TIPS), including trans-splenic TIPS in cases of portal vein thrombosis.
- Deceased donor liver transplantation
- Live donor liver transplantation
Transplant Surgery at Penn State Health
The Division of Transplant Surgery performs liver transplants and other types of transplant surgeries at Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center.
Live Liver Organ Donation: Is It Right for You?
Living Donor Liver Transplantation is an excellent option for many patients with cirrhosis and liver cancer. Our expert team of hepatologists and surgeons will work with you to determine if this is a viable option for you. We recognize the importance of live donor liver transplantation as a curative option for cirrhosis and liver cancer.
Our Experts in Liver Disease
We diagnose and manage complex liver diseases, including hepatitis C, liver cancer, acute liver failure and all other liver-related conditions.
Why Choose Penn State Health Liver Center
As part of a leading academic medical center, Penn State Health Liver Center has access to a wide variety of advanced medical and surgical resources. We are the only comprehensive liver center in central Pennsylvania.
Expertise in all Liver Diseases
We diagnose and manage complex liver diseases, including hepatitis C, liver cancer, acute liver failure and all other liver-related conditions. No other program in the area has the level of expertise of our team. We are the only United Network of Organ Sharing-certified adult living donor liver transplant program in central Pennsylvania.
Most Advanced Treatment Options
Our highly trained experts are skilled in the latest surgical techniques and have access to novel treatment regimens. For example, we offer a live donor liver transplantation, a specialty clinic for early cirrhosis and complex liver, bile duct and pancreas surgery for cancer and non-cancerous disease.
Ongoing Patient Support
Our patients are our top priority as soon as they walk in the door. We help patients see multiple specialists on the same day for their convenience and also provide access to psychological, nutritional, emotional and social work experts as they are needed.
We offer a patient and family support group, educational sessions about living donor transplant and a liver disease symposium to help patients stay informed about their condition and engaged in their care.
We also offer translational research, clinical trials and personalized medicine for liver tumors. Our research team is conducting groundbreaking clinical trials, providing unique access to the latest treatments.
Find the care your family needs, close to home, at one of our many locations throughout central Pennsylvania.Find a location near you
You can find our list of participating insurance plans here.
If you have a question regarding whether Hershey Medical Center accepts a particular insurance or managed care plan or if you need to make arrangements to pay your bill, please call our Patient Inquiry Department at 717-531-5069 or 800-254-2619.
- American Liver Foundation
- American Liver Foundation - Health and Wellness
- American Liver Foundation - Liver Cancer Guide
- American Liver Foundation - Liver Transplantation Guide
- American Liver Foundation - NASH Guide
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Viral Hepatitis
- Chronic Liver Disease Foundation
- Gift of Life
- Hepatitis B Foundation
- Hepatitis C - Caring Ambassadors
- National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute – Liver Cancer
- Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network
- United Network of Organ Sharing