The Penn State Health Approach to Radiology and Imaging
The radiology and imaging team at Penn State Health provides a full range of imaging services to find and treat illnesses and injuries. As the only academic medical center in central Pennsylvania, we offer leading-edge care from a skilled, knowledgeable team. We use the latest equipment that delivers accurate, fast results — often within 48 hours. That means your doctor can begin treatment sooner and help you feel better more quickly.
We provide safe, patient-centered care and use sophisticated equipment, including machines that allow us to adjust radiation levels and magnetic strength. This lets us take the safest, best quality image for each person. We also have MRI scanners with the largest openings available for a more comfortable experience. Our trained, experienced team puts your health, safety and well-being first.
When you come here, you can expect top-quality care from a dedicated team.
Expert Radiology and Imaging Services
Penn State Health offers the latest imaging and radiology equipment and methods to provide accurate, high-quality results as quickly as possible. Our team also performs interventional radiology procedures, including image-guided biopsies (tissue samples), injections, drainages and ablations (treatments to destroy tumors).
We offer the full spectrum of services, from routine X-rays and CT scans to minimally invasive treatment to relieve pain from spinal tumors. We perform more than 400,000 diagnostic studies annually at our multiple central Pennsylvania locations. Our 3D Imaging Lab provides detailed reconstructions of internal areas of your body to help doctors plan surgeries with greater precision. We work collaboratively with specialists throughout Penn State Health to deliver comprehensive care.
Experts in Care
Meet our doctors, view their profiles and select the one that’s right for you.Find a doctor near you
Why Choose Penn State Health for Radiology and Imaging
People throughout central Pennsylvania count on us for comprehensive radiology and imaging services.
Nationally Recognized Radiology and Imaging Expertise
Penn State Health is dedicated to providing exceptional care. We consistently meet or exceed stringent national guidelines for patient care quality. That means you can get leading-edge care from a team you can trust. Our quality recognitions include:
- Accreditation from the American College of Radiology (ACR) in ultrasound, magnetic resonance imaging, computed tomography and mammography
- ACR-designated Lung Cancer Screening Center [link to Lung Care page]
- Accreditation from the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission in nuclear medicine, PET and nuclear cardiology
- Breast Imaging Center of Excellence (BICOE) [link to Breast Care page] designation by the ACR
- Recognition as a National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC) and FDA approval
- Level I Trauma Center [link to Trauma Center page], offering comprehensive imaging services for traumatic injuries
Expert, Team-Based Care Designed for You
All our radiologists are board-certified and fellowship-trained in various areas of radiology. Many of our registered radiology technologists have advanced certifications in their specialty. Our team also includes radiology assistants, nurses and sonographers. As a member of the Image Gently initiative, we’re committed to using the lowest level of radiation possible.
We work closely with specialists in a wide range of specialties, including primary care, orthopedics, cancer, cardiovascular diseases, digestive disorders, neurology, pediatrics, urology and more. We work as a team to provide complete care and personal attention.
Radiology and Imaging Research and Clinical Trials
Penn State Health has a long history of imaging research to improve health care. We’re researching conditions such as Alzheimer's disease and dementia, breast cancer and cognitive impairment. Through the Center for NMR Research, we’re exploring imaging approaches such as MRI, fMRI and spectroscopy. When you come here, you get innovative care backed by the latest research. Learn more about our clinical trials.
Related Services and Treatments
- 3D imaging reconstructions and printed models
- Abdominal imaging
- Advanced Medical Technologies Program
- Bone density scanning
- Breast imaging and mammography
- Chest and thoracic imaging
- Computed tomography (CT)
- CT colonography
- Fluid aspirations
- Interventional radiology
- Joint injections
- Lung cancer screening
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Minimally invasive therapy
- Musculoskeletal imaging
- Nuclear medicine and PET/CT
- Pediatric imaging
- Radiation oncology
- Radiology therapy
- Stereotactic biopsy
- Tumor ablation
- Ultrasound, including contrast-enhanced imaging
- Ultrasound-guided biopsies
- Vascular interventional radiology
- Virtual reality-based anatomy visualization
Find the care your family needs, close to home, at one of our many locations throughout central Pennsylvania.Find a location near you