Need to see a neurosurgeon? With the Penn State Health Neurosurgery OnDemand service, you can get expert care without leaving home.
We Bring Expertise to You
We understand it's not always convenient to see a neurosurgeon when you need to. With OnDemand, we bring a neurosurgeon to you.
You can see a neurosurgery practitioner by video on your smartphone, tablet or computer. It's secure and easy to use. You can even have a family member join your virtual visit to help take part in managing your health — no matter where they are.
You will receive a full consultation with your provider, a diagnosis, a personalized treatment plan and prescriptions, if needed. If you need further evaluation or treatment, your provider may decide to schedule you for an in-person follow-up visit to our clinic.
Please have any records related to your diagnosis and prior care available at the time of your telehealth visit.
If you would like to submit your records before your telehealth visit, please fax them to 717-531-0793.
It’s free to sign up. You can use your mobile phone or computer:
- To download the mobile app, search for Penn State Health OnDemand at the Apple Store for iPhone or the Google Play Store for Android.
- On your computer, visit PennStateHealthOnDemand.com.
How to Enroll
Fill in all the fields on the next three screens — it’s quick and easy:
- On the sign-up screen, type in your information, and press Sign Up.
- Fill in all the fields on the next screen, and press Continue.
- Answer the health insurance question, and click Finish.
The next screen will confirm you've completed registration. Now that you're enrolled, you can see a neurosurgery practitioner right away.
Schedule a Virtual Visit
To schedule your virtual appointment:
- Call 717-531-3828.
- Choose option 2, and then choose option 1.
- Provide your email address to complete the scheduling process.
You must be enrolled in Penn State Health OnDemand before you can schedule your visit. If you have technical difficulties during the enrollment process, our schedulers (at the number above) can help you enroll and schedule your appointment.
Sign Up for the Patient Portal
Please sign up for the patient portal to get additional information on the telehealth setup process before your telehealth visit. Once you’re signed up you can easily share additional patient-related information (outside records, labs, blood pressure results, etc.) once you log in.
Before Your Visit
After you make your first appointment, you will receive an email to help you prepare. It will guide you to:
- Decide if you want to receive a text message reminder of your appointment date and time.
- Confirm the device you will use for your appointment (mobile phone, tablet or computer).
- Go through an easy-to-follow “tech check” to make sure your camera and microphone will allow you to see and hear the provider on your selected device.
Make sure you go through these steps at least 24 hours before your scheduled appointment. This will ensure any technical issues can be resolved well in advance of your virtual visit.
Mobile Phone or Tablet Setup
When you open the OnDemand app, the first screen will ask to access your location, which allows us to find nearby pharmacies if you need a prescription. You will be prompted to enable push notifications for appointments and access to the microphone and camera. This is necessary to see and talk to neurosurgery providers and to complete the mobile tech check.
- Click Allow While Using App.
- Click Allow to get appointment notifications, including text reminders.
- Click OK to allow the app to access your microphone for the visit.
- Click OK to enable the app to access your camera for the visit.
Desktop or Laptop Setup
These instructions may vary depending on the web browser you use. Google Chrome is the preferred browser, allowing fewer clicks.
First, log in to your account with your email and password. You can either go to pennstatehealthondemand.com and log in, or use the appointment link from the email. If you use the link, click Get Started, and then click Continue in the browser window. This will take you to the login page.
Once you're logged in, you will go through a step-by-step virtual intake process by completing the following screens:
- Get Started. Fill in your phone number, in case the neurosurgeon needs to call you to follow up. You also have the option to invite someone, such as a family member, to join your visit. Click Continue when you're finished.
- Your Visit. This screen lets you enter what you want to discuss during your visit. At the bottom of the screen, you need to acknowledge receipt of the Notice of Privacy Practices (click the link to read them). Click Continue.
A popup window will appear with instructions for downloading and installing video software for your virtual visit. If you need help during the process, click the Show me link under the installation and launch steps.
- Click Download, and the file TelehealthVideoInstall.exe will appear at the bottom of your screen. Click the file.
- A prompt will ask, Do you want to run this file? Click Run.
- Your computer will download the TelehealthVideoInstaller. A prompt will notify you when the installation is complete. Click Close, and then Launch the video.
A prompt will appear to Open Telehealth Video. Check the box Always open these types of links in the associated app, then click the Open Telehealth Video (blue text in the box).
Follow the instructions to test your device’s video and microphone. If you can’t establish a connection, your provider will call the phone number you provided.
After Your Visit
Payment for your telehealth visit is not required prior to or during your visit. A staff member will call you within 48 hours of your virtual telehealth visit to discuss your appropriate payment, based on your insurance plan.