Penn State Health Community Medical Group
Work Type: Part Time
Hours: Varied shifts between 7:00a to 6:00p
Recruiter Contact: Melinda Anderson-Hawes [email protected]
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Outpatient RN provides direct patient care, administers medications, educates, collaborates, and counsels patients and families. The Outpatient Registered Nurse assesses physical, psychosocial, and learning needs of patients and families. The nurse will maintain accurate, detailed reports and records and record patient’ medical information and vital signs. The RN will consult and coordinator with healthcare team members to assess, plan, implement and evaluate patient care plans.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The percentage of time spent performing essential functions is 95%. Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Greet patient in a courteous manner
- Perform pre-exam procedures for all patient visits
- Complete chart flow sheets, along with physician
- Assist physician with exams, surgical procedures, wound dressing, EKG's, etc. as needed
- Assist lab staff with lab work and blood draws as ordered by physician
- Give medications, injections or supplies, with necessary instructions, as ordered by the physician.
- Check medication labels and injection doses 3 times before administering
- Assist with patient education and answer patients' questions as needed
- Schedule appointments for diagnostic procedures and consults done outside the office
- Clean up exam rooms after each visit as needed and restock when supplies are low.
- Inform Supervisor when overall supplies run low
- Clean exam room instruments using proper procedures.
- Autoclave when necessary
- Evaluate patient emergencies immediately.
- Follow Code Blue plan as necessary
- Responsible to see that the medical samples cupboard is properly stocked and organized
- Do patient callbacks as required
- Report any broken equipment or unsafe conditions to supervisor
- Follow proper procedures for closing office at the end of the last session
NON-ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The percentage of time spent performing secondary functions is 5%. The following duties are considered secondary to the essential duties listed above:
- Attend staff meetings and in-service training as directed
- Help front desk with duties when you have down time
- Answering the phones
- Perform other duties as assigned
Associate’s degree in Nursing
Currently licensed to practice as a registered nurse by the State of employment
Basic Life Support (BLS)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
Excellent written and oral communication skills
Ability to lift 25 pounds
Occasional kneeling, pushing/pulling and reaching
Ability to operate a personal computer and general office equipment
Ability to deal courteously with patients
Ability to maintain effective working relationship with other employees
Certification in area of specialty preferred
If chosen for this position, you may required to pass a Post Offer Employment Physical Exam in accordance with the measurements listed in the Work Task Analysis (WTA) report. This job description is a general outline of duties performed and is not to be misconstrued as encompassing all duties performed within the position. All individuals (including current employees) selected for a position will undergo a background check appropriate for the position's responsibilities.
Penn State Health is fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is unapologetically expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, martial status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information. If you are unable to use our online application process due to an impairment or disability, please call 717-531-8440 between the hours of 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM, Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday, email [email protected] or download our Accommodation Instructions for Job Applicants PDF for more detailed steps for assistance.