Penn State Health - Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
Work Type: Full Time
Hours: Varied 8 Hour Shifts
*$3,000 SIGN-ON BONUS AND INCREASED RATES! - eligible to those that qualify*
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Responsible for providing assistance with various health care services, for obtaining specimens, for conducting routine lab studies of specimens, and for assisting with administrative functions such as coordinating patient flow and scheduling appointments and phone messages.
ABOUT PENN STATE HEALTH MEDICAL GROUP PEDIATRICS
Location: 35 Hope Drive, Hershey PA
Hours of Operation:
- Monday thru Thursday- 7:30 am to 8:30 pm
- Friday- 7:30 am to 5pm
- Saturday 8:30am-12:30pm
- Sunday 8:30am-12:30pm (open October thru April)
Specialties: General Pediatrics, Lactation Services
The percentage of time spent performing essential functions is 95%. Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Perform routine procedures to include sterile dressings, E.K.G.'s, spirometries, bladder catheterizations, removal of sutures and clamps, and application of topical medications.
- Assist physician’s with surgical procedures including removal and placement of gastrostomy tube, spinal taps, etc.
- Use sterile technique when appropriate.
- Obtain laboratory specimens.
- Place, remove, and record allergy patch testing results.
- Conduct lab studies of specimens; determine test results and report findings to the physician or nurse.
- Assist in coordinating patient flow.
- Ensure availability of appropriate equipment, supplies, test results, medical records, etc.
- Assist in scheduling patient appointments, tests and procedures, and inpatient registration and discharge activities.
- Complete appropriate paperwork.
- Provide patients and families with prepared instructions relative to diagnostic testing and laboratory studies.
- Calibrate, operate and maintain medical equipment.
- Document the patient's data, actions, and information.
- Take measurements of patient's blood pressure, vital signs, height and weight; recognize and report defined abnormal findings.
- Perform first aid and CPR as required.
The percentage of time spent performing secondary functions is 5%. The following duties are considered secondary to the essential duties listed above:
- Performs other duties as assigned.
WHY PENN STATE HEALTH - PEDIATRICS?:
Working with Penn State Health Medical Group means being part of a team that strives to provide excellent patient care every day, but also one that works together to set and achieve goals, build on the Penn State Health legacy and create new possibilities for the future.
Throughout our health system, we are committed to providing patient- and family-centered care to all patients —and skillfully handle needs at every level of complexity utilizing our shared governance model of care.
In addition to a rewarding career, we also offer great benefits including but not limited to: Paid Time Off, Personal Time, Medical Benefits Day One, Dental & Vision Benefits, Life Insurance, Company Sponsored 401K and more.
High School diploma or equivalent required
Must meet current eligibility to sit for the exam with attainment of certification or registration through one of the Penn State Health approved agencies for Medical Assistants within 90-days of employment date; OR
Current active status as a Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) or Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) through one of the Penn State Health approved agencies for Medical Assistant certification required
Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required or must obtain BLS Certification within 6 months of employment date
Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant Program
Previous outpatient experience preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
Excellent communication skills
Compassionate direct patient contact/engagement/outreach
Reliable transportation to travel among designated clinic locations
Flexibility to collaboratively work with various departments and perform varied tasks
This job description is a general outline of duties performed and is not to be misconstrued as encompassing all duties performed within the position. All individuals (including current employees) selected for a position will undergo a background check appropriate for the position's responsibilities.
Penn State Health is fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is unapologetically expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information. If you are unable to use our online application process due to an impairment or disability, please call 717-531-8440 between the hours of 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM, Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday, email [email protected] or download our Accommodation Instructions for Job Applicants PDF for more detailed steps for assistance.
Union: Non Bargained